Have you ever feel depressed and low? Everyone in their life experiences a moment where they feel depressed but sometimes this depression gets on the nerves and take a form which is very dangerous for the mental health of the person. People do all sorts of stupid things while they are depressed. However, there are certain drugs and medicines which are used in such situations to relax the nerves and take away the depression. These drugs do come with a side effect but they are very effective as well and they make sure that the person is cured of depression. One such drug which goes by the name of Zoloft is used to cure depression and it is found to be very effective in doing so. This is why it is recommended by a number of professionals in order to treat major depressive disorders.
Zoloft is the brand name of sertraline and it is used as an antidepressant. It belongs to a class of antidepressants which are known for the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. They work in the body by controlling the level of serotonin which is responsible for the happiness and lightness in the mood of a person. SSRI’s are the most recommended and used anti-depressants in the market nowadays, this is because of the fact that they exhibit low side effects as compared to other anti-depressants. This drug was made for the United Kingdom and it was made in competition to Prozac which had more side effects and is also used by a number of people because there were no alternatives. This drug was made in the year 1990 but it was approved by the FDA in the year 1999.
However, only in 6 years it was proved to be the most popular anti-depressant in America. It was not only used for the treatment of the depressive disorders but it was also used to cure a number of other issues such as Post-traumatic stress disorder, premenstrual dysphoric and most common of them all is the obsessive compulsive disorder. Zoloft is also consumed as a generic drug and this is why a law-suit was also filed against its generic nature as health concerns demanded that it should only be used for limited number of diseases. This generic nature of the drug caused a lot of trouble for the company but they made it through. Although this drug has a low count on side effects but still it has a few. Common side effects of the Zoloft are as follows:
- Feeling tired
- Skin rash
- Upset stomach
- Problems in sleeping
- Dryness of the mouth
- Changes in the appetite
- Abnormality in ejaculation
- Decreased sex drive
- Weight loss
These are some of the very common side effects of this drug and these are likely to be faced by almost all the people who uses this drug in order to cure their depression. These side effects are due to the levels of serotonin which are decreased once we stop intake of this drug. However, these were some of the side effects which are considered to be very normal whereas there are some other side effects which are very serious and needs attention straight away. If you face some of these side effects it is important that you tell your doctor and get these side effects treated straight away.
- If your muscles get stiff and you have high fever with constant sweating and you feel like passing out than you should not waste a single moment. It is important to call a doctor in such a moment and make sure that you get medical attention.
- Agitation and hallucinations pose a threat to the health of the consumer and you should consult a doctor immediately.
- You should consult a doctor, if you face memory problems and have trouble in concentrating leading to weakness, seizure and shallow breathing.
The dosage of Zoloft or the amount of intake depends mainly on the type of illness which needs to be cured. It is possible that Zoloft may react with some types of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and some other medicines which make you sleepy. There are some more side effects of this drug which fall under the category of adverse reactions and these are as follows:
- Hypersensitivity reactions to sertraline
- Disulfiram-alcohol reaction when Zoloft oral solution is taken with disulfiram
- Suicidal thoughts and aggressive behavior
- Serotonin Syndrome
- Increased risk of bleeding
This is why it is very important to make sure that you take this drug in the right quantity and consult a doctor before doing so. It is very important to identify that you have consulted a doctor about your condition of depression. It is not wise to take this medicine without consulting a doctor as one can fall to various side effects which can prove to be fatal as well. All in all this drug proves to be a good anti-depressant but it should be taken with great care and with a very clear purpose.
Antidepressants are those clinical drugs that are used to treat depression. That being said the use of these drugs is not limited to just depression as they can be used to treat multiple disorders as well. These disorders are listed as follows:
- Panic disorders or frequently occurring panic attacks can be treated by antidepressants
- In OCD antidepressants are prescribed
- PTSD is also treated by using the antidepressants
- Patients experiencing anxiety disorders are also prescribed with the antidepressants
- Phobias that can lead to depression like agoraphobia are also treated with the antidepressants
People who are suffering from chronic pains that are usually prescribed with the antidepressants so as to minimize the pain they are going through.
Usually when these drugs are being prescribed they are accompanied by the Cognitive behavioral therapy in case of depression. CBT is a one-on-one session between the patient and the therapist which is usually used as an approach to solve behavior issues and to improve the mood. During the cases of mild depression antidepressants aren't prescribed and this is because the drug is known to render less effect on the people who are suffering from depression. In exceptional cases of mild depression the drug is prescribed to see if it improves the symptoms. If the results are negative then the drug is withdrawn slowly to avoid further complications. The most common antidepressants which is largely prescribed is SSRI. The drug maintains the serotonin levels in the body because depression is linked with the imbalance of serotonin levels in the body. If the drug renders low or very less effects then either the dosage is increased or an alternate drug is prescribed.
In children who are suffering from depression between 12-18 years fluoxetine is the drug that is recommended but psychotherapy is given in the most cases. Fluxoetine is also an SSRI and sometimes both treatments are given in the combination.
In case of chronic pain normal pain killers like paracetamol doesn't help much in treating pain so in order to keep the pain at lower levels antidepressants are prescribed. These antidepressants are tricyclic antidepressants and were originally manufactured solely for treating depression but research suggested that they are good painkillers as well. Now these are prescribed to the people who are suffering from chronic nerve pain which is also known as neuropathic pain and is caused by damage to a nerve. Amitriptyline is a commonly used drug in this regard and is prescribed to aid minimizing the nerve pain. Nerve damages like sciatica can be treated using these. SSRIs can also be used to treat chronic pain as well.
Children who have a habit of bedwetting are also prescribed with antidepressants. Thee drugs aids in the relaxing of the bladder muscles which ultimately increases the capacity of bladder and therefore reduces the urge for urination.
Working of antidepressants:
The working of antidepressants is not fully known but it is suggested that these increases the level of neurotransmitters in the brain. Neurotransmitters like serotonin and noradrenaline are known to be linked with emotions. Antidepressants comes handy while limiting depression but they don't help find the root cause of the depression.
- Antidepressants are usually not recommended to the women who are pregnant especially during the early stages of pregnancy. This is due to the fact that they might actually harm the baby more than the good it will cause. In exceptional cases where depression can be a life or death situation for the woman who is pregnant these drugs are prescribed. Also during breastfeeding the use of the drug should be avoided at all.
- People who have a habit of drinking alcohol should avoid the use of either the drug or alcohol. This is because alcohol is a depressant and its use accompanied by antidepressants will worsen the situation. While taking TCAs when you're addicted to the consumption of alcohol you might feel drowsy or you will faint. In case of SSRIs there are lesser chances of unpleasant experiences but caution and restraint is recommended.
- Taking of illegal drugs while using antidepressants can also prove to be bad for your health as these can induce more suicidal thoughts and will render the effects of antidepressants useless. These drugs include cocaine, heroine etc.
- antidepressants might also make you feel dizzy so driving after taking these should be avoided.
- SSRIs are not suitable when you are suffering from bipolar disorder and in diabetes as well.
- The use of these drugs should be avoided when suffering from a kidney disease.
- If the epilepsy is controlled the use of these drugs isn't recommended.
- SNRIs cannot be taken if the patient have a history of heart disease and if the blood pressure isn't controlled.
- TCAs cannot be taken if the patient is suffering from liver disease, bipolar disorder etc.
SSRIs and SNRIs long term use can make a person feel anxious:
- Feeling sick is a commonly observed by the use of SSRIs
- Indigestion and pain in stomach
- Depraved appetite is also observed
- low libido
- erectile dysfunction is also observed
TCAs can have following adverse effects:
- dizziness and weight gain is commonly observed
- increased usage of these drugs can cause heart rhythm problems and might cause excessive sweating as well
- Patient might feel drowsy all the time
These can also result in some potential health risk as well:
- Serotonin syndrome can occur as well. This will cause an increased serotonin level in the brain. The patient will feel confusion, agitation and muscle twitching will result in. shivering and diarrhea is commonly observed symptom.
It is advised to take these drugs with proper caution and it is better to consult the physician every now and then. In severe syndrome patient might feel unconsciousness and seizures. The right intake of these drugs will help reduce the depression and the proper withdrawal will also help.