Sertraline is also an anti-depressant which is known for the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. Like Zoloft it is also used to cure depression and other ailments such as the panic attacks, obsessive compulsive disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder. Sertraline is only available in the form of tablets which are provided only when you have a prescription for it. It has helped a number of people to recover from depression and the basic advantage of this medicine is the fact that it has a fewer number of side effects as compared to other. Following are some of the key facts that you need to know about this drug before consuming it.
- The time frame for sertraline to cure depression is almost 4 to 6 weeks.
- There are some mild side effects which go away easily such as feeling sick, headaches and trouble in sleeping.
- It is not recommended that you stop using sertraline at once as it can cause complications in the body. However, in order to get off sertraline you should lower your dosage and gradually get off this drug.
- Lustral is another name for sertraline.
- It is important to check your age before you start taking this medicine as you can start consuming it. Children between the age group of 6 to 17. Adults of all ages can use this drug but after consulting the doctor.
Following is the list of things that you need to check and consult with your doctor before you start consuming this drug.
- If you ever had an allergic reaction to anti-depressants or any other medicine in the past.
- If you have a history with heart problems because sertraline has the potential to increase or decrease the heart rate.
- If you are already using anti-depressants.
- If you are a women you need to refrain from this drug if you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant.
- If you have an eye problem which is known as glaucoma you should not take this medicine because sertraline can cause increased pressure in your eye.
- Diabetes patients also need to refrain from this medicine as it causes blood sugar level to fluctuate.
The best dose for sertraline is to take it once a day and there is no compulsion to take it with or without food. There is no strict routine to take sertraline and one can take it at any time but the condition is to stick to that routine every day. However, if you have trouble in sleeping patterns and want to have a sound sleep than it is recommended that you take this in the morning. The usual amount or dose for sertraline in one day is almost 50mg for adults. The reason to start it with a lower dose is to allow the body to adjust to the drug and then gradually increase the dose and make it up to 200 mg per day. The usual dose for children aged 13 to 17 is approximately 50mg per day. If you ever forget to take a dose, it is recommended that you skip that day and consume the tablet next day in the same routine. Never take a drug twice a day just because you skipped a day. However, if you happen to take an increased dose of this drug, it is recommended that you consult your doctor immediately because the side effects of over dose vary from person to person. Following are some of the symptoms that you might face when you overdose on this drug.
- Feeling sleepy and dizzy
- Fast heart rate
Following are some serious side effects that you might face:
- Trouble in focusing and memory problems.
- Loss of balance and weakness.
- Suicidal thoughts or aggressive behavior.
- Feeling of euphoria.
- Excessive excitement.
- Feeling of restlessness.
- Yellow skin.
- White of the eyes turning to yellow which means that there might be a problem with the liver.
- Blood vomiting.
- Dark vomiting.
- Bleeding from the gut in form of red excretions.
- Bleeding from the gum.
In order to cope up with the side effects following are some tips:
- In order to avoid vomiting you should try and take sertraline with or after food. If you stop each spicy foods, it will surely help the cause.
- In order to avoid headaches, it is important that you drink a lot of water while you use this drug as headaches are directly associated with it. You should have a painkiller for the headaches if they do not go even after one week of use of sertraline. However, you should consult your doctor if these headaches get persistent.
- If you are unable to sleep you should take sertraline in the evening and make sure that stop consuming alcohol which is the major reason to cause all the restlessness.
- Drink water to avoid diarrhea and other gut issues.
- For dry mouth use a gum or a sugar free sweet.
This is a good anti-depressant and it should be consumed with care in order to get good results.